Wednesday, December 20, 2006

So I'm back in the Kombo area after only 4 days in village! There was a small problem in Ker Katim... the bidiks (small stores) were robbed by several men with guns. It's kind of a long story, not entirely pleasant...

It's wierd because The Gambia has no money! Ker Katim has no money itself but the bidiks there sell a lot of sugar to Senegal because they're right on the border, and sugar is cheaper in The Gazmbia (especailly if you sell it at night when customs is closed and you don't pay the sugar tax.) They use CEFA, a currency that's used all over parts of west Africa, and there was a lot of money concentrated there in little Ker Katim. I heard on the Gambian radio that 7 million CEFA was stolen. Several men were shot at, two were critically wounded but I think will be OK. When I heard gunshots, I left and went to a near-by village and stayed the night there.

This kind of thing never happens in sweet little Gambia! Gambians are so peaceful... if they were any more laid back, the recliner would tip over. If they had any more of their "peace only" they'd all be experiencing Nirvana... So it's sad that it happened, but I'm excited about getting to my new post, called "Jamagen" which I think, at least in Woolof, means "Peace" (jamma) and "more or most" (gena). So my new site is the most peaceiest place in all of Gambia...

Well happy hollidays to everyone! I'm getting PC transport tomorrow to take me to make the move, then I can sigh and start again. I'll being going even further up country to visit a group of friends for Christmas... can't wait! Take care!

2 comments:

gato&spoons said...

hey!!! wow, it is really exciting to read your blog. me, mom, and drew are all gathered around and i was reading it outloud. I REALLY miss you a lot, its weird being home without you this year. mom got us a rockin christmas tree, its pretty funny and the house is all decorated and homey. Its good to be home for a few days but know that there is definetly something missing with out you. So you got moved to another village?? that sounded intense what happened...i hope you are safe now! well we are going to try to call you today and i cant wait to actually TALK to you. LOVE YOU!!

Molly said...

Have been keeping up with Gambia journals. Sorry to hear about this episode. I am Peter's mom and watch for any info from The Gambia. Merry Christmas to you and I hope your next village is Peaceful!!